February 10, 2019 by SN
If you are planning to enroll for a business degree, it is possible to find yourself with several choices. People say that it is always good to have many choices rather than few, but making the right decision becomes harder.
- Should you consider a degree in accounting or a general degree in business?
- Is a conventional business career such as personal property management better or is it safer to stick to a more tested and tried industry such as human resources?
Students are always faced with tons of questions, and answering the questions is not easy. Business is the most popular major, and there are many different disciplines within the field. Here is a guide to help decide where to major in business.
Business Degree Types
First of all, it is paramount to understand that different universities offer students several types of degrees. There are 2 types of degrees at the undergraduate level:
- Bachelor’s degree in business: if you want to be responsible and strategic in business roles, it is crucial to complete a degree in business. The program will most probably take 4 years. The first 2 years are mainly focused on the general education courses, while the last two focus only on intensive business related activities.
- Associate degree in business: this is a 2-year program that is mainly designed to offer graduates with the basic-level understanding of the different business functions. In this level, the students are imparted with the rudimentary skills. After the associate degree program, the students can work as customer care executives, administrative assistants, bookkeepers or sales representatives.
When the students get to the graduate level, the traditional business degree many of them choose is known as the Master of Business Administration. Different forms of MBA programs are available. The accelerated MBA is finished in a less than the standard completion period, while the executive MBA is made for individuals in the senior and middle-level management roles. Executive MBA classes are held during the weekends.
Popular Business Majors
After you have chosen the degree to enroll in, the next thing is to decide the particular area you want to major in. Your strengths, personal interests, and career objectives should be the precedence over all the other considerations when choosing your business major. A degree in the different available majors will offer the student limitless opportunities in the employment industry. Here are some of the common business majors.
Majoring in accounting will prepare the student for accounting roles such as business accountant, government accountant, internal auditor or management accountant. The students learn that accounting is more than the regular bookkeeping. They learn how to report all financial activities in a business and discovering how to make sense in numbers. At the end of the degree program, the students are able to understand the language of money. A professional accounting course may need to follow your degree to earn accreditation.
Business administrators, managers, and even owners are individuals who keep the business on track. Regardless of the type or size of the firm, the same skills and principles apply. Taking a degree in business administration will help an individual tackle role such as:
- Analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of a business
- Deciding the best ways to make good profits
- Assist the company to get through difficult times.
Business administration programs approach management education in a more general way than study streams such as project management and health administration.
Individuals who major in this area are able to join the human resource department in any organization. They will be responsible for roles such as training, staffing, talent retention, organization policies, benefits and compensation among other responsibilities.
In the past, the entrepreneur department was untouched and unexplored, especially for the individuals in the middle class. Things have completely changed in the recent past, and this is not the case anymore. The area is now doing well thanks to the success of many young entrepreneurs and the willingness of many investors to pump a lot of money into the promising ventures. Many people are now ready to start their companies. A major in entrepreneurship will help a student shape their entrepreneur skills.
A major in finance is considered to be one of the most distinguished and most rewarding options in the business degree. From insurance to banking and from the stock market to the corporate finance, the finance major can open up the best and most exciting career opportunities. Graduates know financial theory and have the ability to interpret financial data. These skills are used to help companies, individuals and non-profit organizations plan for the future.